Living with hip pain? Dr. John Ashcraft and Dr. Connor Donoghue at ChiroLife Wellness in Mooresville, NC, are dedicated to helping you achieve natural and lasting relief.
Treating Hip Pain With Chiropractic Care
The hips are a vital component of our daily functions. They are weight-bearing, help us walk and move, and play an essential role in keeping us upright. As they are so involved in daily life, hip pain can be a very common musculoskeletal issue. Below, Dr. Ashcraft and Dr. Donoghue at ChiroLife Wellness in Mooresville, NC, share some of the most common causes of pain in the hip and how chiropractic care can help relieve it.
What Exactly Makes the Hips Hurt?
The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint that contains several components needed to complete their various roles. As such, there are various causes of pain, including those listed below.
- Bursitis: Your hip bones are cushioned by a small sac of fluid called the bursa. This sac can become irritated and inflamed due to injuries or overuse, causing mild to severe pain.
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is the degenerative type of arthritis that commonly affects the joints of older people. However, it can occur in younger, highly active younger adults, as well.
- Overuse: The hip contains muscles, ligaments, and tendons, all of which can become inflamed when they are overused. Additionally, this overuse can lead to tears, sprains, and other soft tissue injuries.
- Dislocations: As it is a joint, the hip can be dislocated.
- Sciatica: One of the most common causes of pain in the hip doesn’t originate in the hip at all. Instead, the sciatic nerve becomes compressed in the lower back, which leads to pain in the lower extremities.
Chiropractic Care for Hip Pain
Chiropractors don’t just treat neck and back pain. They can also relieve pain in the extremities, including the hip.
Adjustments are a common course of treatment, regardless of where the root of the pain lies. A chiropractor can restore proper alignment to both your back and your extremities, according to your needs.
Soft tissue techniques are also utilized to help muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, and other tissues by relieving tension, reducing inflammation, stimulating blood flow, and enhancing tissue regeneration. Therapeutic exercises are also highly beneficial for restoring range of motion, improving blood flow, reducing tension, and more. The specific techniques and exercises utilized are customized to your specific needs.
Leave hip pain in the past by visiting Dr. Ashcraft and Dr. Donoghue at ChiroLife Wellness in Mooresville, NC, for lasting relief. Call (704) 799-8750 to schedule an appointment today.